so this weekend i spent about 3 hours making a rhubarb pie. i hand selected the ingredients when we were in the market on friday and then i hand crumbled the pastry a la julia child. i took great care in rolling the dough out, cutting the lattice and filling the crust.
and then, when the house was filled with the heavenly smell of fresh rhubarb and buttery goodness, i went to have a shower and i made the mistake of leaving the finished product cooling on our stove.
never trust an 8 month-old labrador retriever.
cliff ate the pie... little bugger.
to add insult to injury, i had spent the day cleaning up dog throw-up because he'd gotten into something outside earlier on in the morning. but not only did he enjoy the pie, he kept it down.
when i returned to the kitchen, the first thing i noticed was little drops of red on the floor. i thought maybe it was blood, and i panicked when i saw more red on cliff's paws.
but then it dawned on me, and when i turned my attention to the pie, cliff got as low to the ground as he could... i suppose in an effort to look innocent or sorry?
at any rate, you'll have to ask cliff if it tasted good.
Cliff's Favourite Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
4 cups rhubarb, chopped 2 cups strawberries, sliced 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie 1 egg, beaten for glaze sugar (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry and line a nine-inch pie plate.
3. Spoon in filling.
4. Roll out pastry for top crust; using pastry wheel or knife, cut into 1-inch wide strips.
5. Brush pastry rim with some of the beaten egg.
6. Gently weave strips over the pie to form lattice; trim and flute the edge
7. Brush lattice with beaten egg. Sprinkle top with sugar if using.
8. Bake on a baking sheet with sides in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 50 to 60 minutes longer or until rhubarb is tender, filling thickened and the crust is golden.
10. let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
full recipe can be found here on Food.com
either way, strawberries are in season (yay!!) and as cliff will attest, there's nothing better then a home-made pie.