Today life officially gets busy. Twelve hour days, three days a week for the next three months (and then the rest of the week). Commuting, work, school; the other stuff in between.
So because it's the first week, I'm going to be extra prepared! (After which point I'll probably completely fall off the band wagon but hey - at least I'll have had September.)
Because nothing says breakfast on the run like your food in a blender ;)
I'm not going to pretend that I'm the first person to come up with a smoothie for the health benefits - or using kale as an ingredient. But I think the point to take away here is smoothies are easy; in fact they're not only easy they're also quick. And they fill me up. Fast & easy? Sounds like Marissa in Season Two of the OC (Hey-OH. See starting off the school year organized AND with a zinger!)
So without further ado, this is my fool proof process for five days of delicious smoothies:
Morning Sunrise, Chocolate Chilli, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Cinnamon and Beet It.
1. First, Make a Grocery Shopping List
These are ingredients which really help if you have on hand:
2. Keep in Mind the Following Smoothie Secrets
- It does make a difference if you have a good blender. It's much easier to drink a veggie smoothie if it goes down easy.
- Always add a handful of ice. There's nothing worse then a room temperature vegetable drink.
- Use Granny Smith apples because they have a strong very distinct "apple" flavour.
- Frozen bananas are your friend - they're a great filler and they make the flavours more mild (like they actually mellow out a beet drink).
- It's really handy if you make the smoothies and freeze the mix in ice cube trays. That way you can pop them into the blender on the morning of, and not have to do any of the leg work.
- Don't stress about the exact amount of ingredients - you can always add more or water it down depending on the direction you need to go in.
- Add spices to taste.
- Always add a bit of water to make the consistency more smooth (ie).
- Coconut oil is your friend. I'll often put a spoonful in any of the following recipes. Because it's delicious and good for you.
I made the following five smoothies in 20 minutes. No lie, I timed myself.
(Carrots, almond milk, ginger, dried figs, cinnamon, flax seed, nutmeg)
(Beets, coco powder, cinnamon, coconut milk (1/2 can), chilli powder)
(Pumpkin puree (100% - not pie filling), greek yogurt, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg)
(Handful of kale, one granny smith apple, one pear, greek yogurt, cinnamon, almond milk)
(Beets, frozen berries, yogurt, banana, almond milk)
And that's all there is to it. You get a smoothie and YOU get a smoothie and YOU & YOU & YOU (Oprah anyone?).
Breakfast for five days, sitting in my fridge and freezer. Thank-goodness because it's getting late and tomorrow morning is going to be here really soon.
Please send good thoughts my way for zen amongst the whirling dervish that is about to become my life!
How do you organize your mornings? Tips and tricks muchly appreciated!
If you found this post useful, maybe you would consider sharing it?