Brat Puppy

We had an interesting week in our household. On Monday evening I was sitting in the driveway of a stranger's house - about to leave the car to do an interview for the radio broadcast course that's consuming my winter. As I went to turn the my cell phone off I realized I had missed two calls when I was driving.

It seemed weirder when I had a text from Mike to call my dad ASAP.

So I did and found out that there was a bit of a family emergency back home (about a three hour's drive from the location I was sitting in that very minute.) It's the kind of call you dread - never knowing when it will come or just to what extent it will change your life.

Over the following 48 hours, including a trip home to see my parents, we found out that the long-term effects would be minimal. We breathed a sigh of relief that we had been so lucky.

In the minutes and hours following the call we began to make arrangements for the trip home. It's not as easy as it used to be. We used to be able to fill the cat dish up with food and water and head out. Since the arrival of the devil child (aka that cute puppy Cliff) we have more strings attached.

My parents have a giant great dane and when you mixed that with the 3 hour drive (Cliff hasn't got used to the car yet) and the fact that it was 10 pm at night, we were inclined to not bring him on the trip with us.

In times of crisis you find out who your friends are and we are SO lucky to have wonderful - feels like -they're-kinda- your- family- type- friends who live down the road. They uprooted their schedule and agreed to come and puppy sit for the day/night while we were out of town.

While we were gone we found out that that angelic puppy that tilts his head at you just so? Well he kept them up all night. Which is strange because he has been sleeping through the night for about two weeks now. No complaints. Loves his crate/bed. Just goes in no questions asked and goes to sleep.

Nu-uh. When we were gone he took liberties.

And since we've been back?

I think I've slept about 8 hours (plus a few day time naps to catch up) in 48 hours. And I'm not even exaggerating. I wish I was.

Last night Cliff barked off and on from 2AM until 6 AM. In 20 minute intervals.

THAT HAPPENED. The night before that was about the exact same thing.



I feel like we're at square one again. We are having to start from the beginning. We already went through a few weeks of "let him bark it out." But now we're right back to where we started... listening to him bark for hours until he just tires himself out, or it's time to get up.

It's just been a really long week and I'm SO HAPPY that today is Friday and maybe we can put it all behind us. Bratty behaviour and all.